No time to go to the gym? Tired of working out in a crowded room? Done with waiting in line to use the exercise equipment? Why not turn your basement into a personal workout center. A basement is the perfect place for training sessions. It’s cool, the noise from your workout is easily contained and your equipment is only steps away. Make exercise convenient, stay motivated and reach your personal fitness goals without leaving your home! Use the following tips to help you create a basement fitness area that will rock your workout.
- Space: Make your workout area large enough to facilitate numerous workout options, accommodate adequate training equipment and provide storage. Allow room for future expansion or the addition of more equipment.
- Equipment: What and how much equipment to include depends upon your training goals, personal preferences and budget. You may want the traditional treadmill, elliptical trainer, stationary bike and weights. Or try some interesting items like a speed bag, a rowing machine or a Nordic trainer!
- Electrical requirements: Be mindful that some equipment is electric and needs to be positioned near a power outlet to avoid cords cluttering your space.
- Environment: Consider installing overhead fans to keep the air moving. Standing fans will do in a pinch. Enlarge windows to allow plenty of natural light and add some overhead fixtures. If your budget is large, go for an air filtration system, air conditioning or a shower.
- Colour: Bright colours (gold, orange, neon) create an energizing effect. Softer shades (blues, greens) are calming and great for yoga. Scenic wallpaper can make you feel like you are exercising outdoors.
- Flooring: Rubber mat flooring is soft, comfortable, durable, affordable, sound absorbing, easy to install and comes in many colours. Don’t like the look? Cover it with wall to wall carpeting to add warmth, softness and beauty. Opt for carpet made of synthetic fibers (nylon or polyester) as they’re mold and mildew resistant.
- Storage: To keep loose items (free weights, jump ropes, kettle bells, yoga mats, resistance bands, foam rollers) organized and off the floor, add metal or wire shelving units or mount a pegboard to the wall.
- Accessories: Hang a mirror to avoid injury by ensuring correct positioning when lifting weights or practicing yoga. Add a TV or sound system to make workout sessions fun. Consider a small fridge for water or sports drinks, wall hooks to hang towels/clothing and indoor plants. How about an infrared sauna to help you relax and recover after a hard session.
With a little creativity, you can transform that extra square footage in your basement into a workout zone. Whether you want a Zen space for yoga or an energizing setting for your cardio, there are tons of ideas for creating a fitness area that fits your needs. Think of the money you’ll save since you’ll no longer need a gym membership!When you’re ready to create the home gym of your dreams, call the Calgary basement experts, Econo Basements at (403) 768-0256 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.